Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement Division
Q: Can I remain annonymous when I file a complaint?
A: By ordinance, the city does not give out any information regarding the complaining party. All information submitted to Code Enforcement is held in high confidence. However, it is recommended that you leave your name and phone number so the code enforcement staff can call back if there are any questions.
Q: How many vehicles can one person own?
A: There is no law that limits the number of vehicles one person can own. However, vehicles in public view must be licensed with current registration, in operable condition, and be parked on an approved parking surface.
Q: How are codes enforced?
A: City codes are designed to maintain a healthy and safe environment and preserve the quality of life standards for residents and businesses. There are many types of codes: City Codes, Fire Codes, Uniform Building Codes, Uniform Housing Codes, Zoning Ordinances, Vehicle Codes and Penal Codes. Code Enforcement is a responsibility shared by staff of several departments in the city of Citrus Heights. The city relies on residents to help identify possible code violations. Code Enforcement officers respond to complaints according to the impact of the violation on the community. Situations that pose a serious risk to health and safety are given top priority; others are pursued in the order in which they are received. For all types of code complaints, the first step is personal contact by a Code Enforcement Officer to ascertain if a code violation exists, and to request remediation. If the individual responsible for the situation is not available, or is unwilling to correct the code violation in a timely manner, a notice of violation or a citation may be issued. The individual has ignored previous notices/citations. In many cases the individual responsible for the code violation is given the opportunity to voluntarily correct the situation and comply with current codes without a penalty. If the correction is not made in reasonable time the individual may be subject to fines and other penalties.
Q: I have relatives visiting. Can they stay in their RV in front of our house?
A: City code does not allow occupancy of RVs except in approved mobile home/RV parks. It is a serious violation to have a power cord run from the house to any camper, motor home or trailer.
Q: Can commercial trucks and/or trailers park in a residential neighborhood?
A: Motor vehicles used for commercial or industrial purposes and rated more than one (1) ton capacity cannot park in residential areas as per Citrus Heights Zoning Code section 301-42.1.
Q: I want to add to my existing driveway (or add a second driveway) by removing a side lawn. Do I need to notify anyone?
A: There are codes restricting both the amount of driveway width allowed per residence (35 feet maximum for single family and duplex residential) and how a driveway ties in or encroaches onto the public right-of-way (the sidewalk). The General Services Departmentshould be contacted at (916) 727-4770 for an encroachment permit if the existing sidewalk will be part of the driveway. If a second driveway is being considered, the Planning Divisionshould be contacted at (916) 727-4740.
Q: I have mold in my home, what do I do?
A: We suggest calling an environmental hygienist to assist you with this problem. There are listings for environmental hygienists in the yellow pages of the phone book. The Code Enforcement Division can help out if there is a current active source causing the mold, for example a broken leaking pipe, leaking roof etc.
Q: How do I make a complaint about a city code violation?
A: Reports can me made to the Code Enforcement Division in many ways. Reports may be left on the 24-hour recorder at (916) 725-2845 or filed on the Web site by using the on-line service request. Complaints may also be filed in person or mailed to City Hall. When filing a complaint, be prepared to leave the complete address and details of the violation.


Q: What is an approved parking surface?
A: Acceptable parking surfaces include cement, asphalt, decomposed granite, inlaid brick or stone, or parking strips composed of the above mentioned materials. All parking surfaces must also meet the standards set forth in section 50-146.(9)a.,b., of the Citrus Heights Muncipal Code and be maintained free of weeds and debris.
Q: My neighbor has a boat and trailer parked in the driveway. Is this allowed?
A: As long as the vehicles have current registration, are in operable condition (no flat tires, broken windows, etc) and parked on an approved parking surface, there is no code preventing the parking of these vehicles in the driveway.
Print PDF

Annual Reports

The Neighborhood Enhancement / Code Enforcement Annual Report, 
2008-2009, is now available for review. The number of Code Enforcement complaints has risen by over 80% in the last 5 years. The report is a comprehensive summary of complaints received over the 2008 to 2009 fiscal year. To view this annual report, click here.

 © 2010 City of Citrus Heights and the Citrus Heights Police Department. All Rights Reserved. Privacy & Safety.